Re: simple editor required

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: 17 Jun 2003 12:14:23 -0400

> In text mode, if my file looks like:

> aaaa
> bbbb
> cccc

> Hitting enter at beginning of aaaa line creates a newline plus an indent of
> 8 spaces.

I don't see this with any combination of Emacs-20.7, Emacs-21.3, text-mode,
indented-text-mode, paragraph-indent-text-mode, newline, newline-and-indent.
It's probably a bad interaction with your config.

> (my tab is only 4 spaces),

This is ambiguous since it doesn't say whether it's the displayed size of
a TAB character, or the number of spaces-equivalent inserted when you hit
M-i or maybe TAB (in which case it also depends on what TAB is bound to,
which depends on the major mode via the variable indent-line-function).

> but I didn't actually expect any indentation at all here.

Rightly so.

> And one more.  If I cursor down in xemacs, xemacs doesn't
> automatically start expanding the size of my file when I reach
> the end, but emacs does.  How do I stop that?

C-h k <cursor down> will give you the documentation of the function
that moves the cursor down.  It explains how to change this part
of the behavior.

        Stefan