Re: simple editor required

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:35:03 +0200

"Paul Edwards" <kerravon@nosppaam.w3.to> writes:

> "Kai Großjohann" <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> wrote in message
> 84el1zcze6.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de">news:84el1zcze6.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de...
>> "Paul Edwards" <kerravon@nosppaam.w3.to> writes:
>>
>> > The following work in xemacs, don't work in emacs...
>> >
>> > (global-set-key (kbd "DEL") 'delete-char)
>> > (global-set-key (kbd "DEL") (kbd "C-d"))
>>
>> What does it mean to not work?  Does Emacs crash?
>
> No, it just has no effect.  The DEL key remains bound to
> delete-backward-char and keeps trying to delete the previous
> character.

Gah?  How can this be?  I mean, C-h l tells that the key in question
is the DEL key.  Hm.

Is the statement really executed?  Try putting (message "Hi there")
(sit-for 3) before and after the statement to see if Emacs ever gets
there.  Also try M-: to eval the statement from a running Emacs, to
see if that has any effect.

Hm.  Oh!  It could be that the key is not bound in the global map,
but instead in some local map, instead.  Try C-x b foo RET, which
creates a buffer named foo in fundamental mode.  Maybe the DEL key
works in that mode?

I think that emacs-lisp-mode or lisp-interaction-mode have their own
bindings for DEL, so you'd have to do like

(define-key emacs-lisp-mode-map (kbd "DEL") 'delete-char)

for those.

--
This line is not blank.