Re: simple editor required

From: Paul Edwards
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:55:27 GMT

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote in
message 5lfzmgbrio.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu">news:5lfzmgbrio.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu...
> > ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC
> > O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B
> > x DEL C-h l
>
> Oh, so you're on a text-terminal.  As I said, my code wouldn't work
> in such a case.
>
>    (global-set-key "?\C-?" 'delete-char)
>
> might do what you want, but it might also change the behavior of backspace
> because backspace might send the same key sequence to Emacs.

Backspace and delete are two different keys on my terminal.

> Or maybe
> backspace sends C-h, which then clashes with Emacs's help key.

Yeah, but that is easily remapped, which is what I do.  This basic
delete vs backspace I have working in xemacs already, so I know
it can be done via the editor.  But before you say "use xemacs then",
xemacs has different problems, completely unrelated to key
mappings.

Anyway, here are the results of today's tests:

(global-set-key "?\C-?" 'delete-char)

Error in init file: error: "Key sequence ? DEL uses invalid prefix
characters"

In xemacs has no effect

(global-set-key "\C-?" 'delete-char)

works in xemacs, has no effect in emacs

(global-set-key [DEL] 'delete-char) has no effect

The following work in xemacs, don't work in emacs...

(global-set-key (kbd "DEL") 'delete-char)
(global-set-key (kbd "DEL") (kbd "C-d"))

BFN.  Paul.