Re: SMTP mail and Verizon

From: Subhankar Chatterjee
Subject: Re: SMTP mail and Verizon
Date: 23 Jul 2003 20:32:14 +0530

Hello,

dms.emacs@verizon.net (David M. Synck) writes:

> *** Excerpt from .emacs file ***
> ;; *** Mail settings ***
[...]
> (setq mail-user-agent (quote sendmail-user-agent))
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[...]

Which mail program (gnus, rmail..) are you using and under which Emacs? The
smtp-auth system works fine for me in Gnus.

I had overlooked this pount earlier. It seems that the above line in your
.emacs has caused you to use the default mail sending package in Emacs, which
is of course sendmail. If you are using sendmail, then you have to configure it
to do smtp-auth and thats an entirely different game altogether. The above line
might be overriding the setting (setq mail-send-function 'smtpmail-send-it).

You can remove the above line and try with the format I specified earlier. Are
you sure about your smtp server's port number?

Hope this helps.

Regards
-Subhankar

--