Re: GNU.org is down

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GNU.org is down
Date: 10 Dec 2003 17:23:32 +0100

David Steuber <david.steuber@verizon.net> writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon <spam@thalassa.informatimago.com> writes:
>
> > David Steuber <david.steuber@verizon.net> writes:

> > > I guess that's why I can't hit CVS on subversions.gnu.org.  Anyone
> > > know what the deal is?
> >
> > Check http://savannah.gnu.org/statement.html
>
> Well this sucks big time I must say.

Complain to the involved criminals.  It is sad that scum like that
does not even refrain from destroying infrastructure for the common
good.  The FSF has to cope with the equivalent of finding that someone
has gone to considerable criminal effort in order to achieve the
equivalent of wiring explosives into a Red Cross building or poisoning
the food in soup kitchens: it was a rather obscure vulnerability that
the perpetrators used for that attack.

So there is not much one can do except boost the security to levels
one should normally only consider necessary for military or
intelligence instead of charity operations.

Maintaining a consistent high level of security causes a severe drain
of usability and accessibility (as you have noticed), and it also
requires considerable human resources permanently.

What kind of people gleefully cause a considerable permanent damage to
a charity instead of elsewhere "just" for the hope of monetary gains?
I hope that they are found and dealt with in proportion to their
crime and the impact it will have.