Re: GNU.org is down

From: Bob Nelson
Subject: Re: GNU.org is down
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 07:53:23 GMT

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

> Maintaining a consistent high level of security causes a severe drain
> of usability and accessibility (as you have noticed), and it also
> requires considerable human resources permanently.

> What kind of people gleefully cause a considerable permanent damage to
> a charity instead of elsewhere "just" for the hope of monetary gains?
> I hope that they are found and dealt with in proportion to their
> crime and the impact it will have.

``Dealing'' with the ``crime'' implies punishment, unless I misread your
intent, David. But that only addresses the symptom.

- Instead the objective should be to find out what may have motivated
  such a course of action from the individual(s) involved. Perhaps there
  are cultural or ethical differences that need to be taken into account,
  appreciated and understood.