Re: Using the `Win' key as `Ctrl' in Emacs?

From: Gustaf Erikson
Subject: Re: Using the `Win' key as `Ctrl' in Emacs?
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:47:47 +0200

Xiaoyong Jin <tootiny@163.com> writes:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:30:35 +0200
> Gustaf Erikson <gustafe+usenet@openbsd.agero.se> wrote:
>

>> Have you tried mapping your caps lock key to Control?
>>
>> It's the original and best configuration :-)
>>
>> I think there's an option in XFree86 for this.
>>
>> /g.
>>

> Now I'm using caps lock key as left Control as you suggested by
> put these in my XF86Config file:
> Section "InputDevice"
>       Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>       Driver      "keyboard"
>       Option "XkbRules"   "xfree86"
>       Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
>       Option "XkbLayout" "us"
>       Option  "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
> EndSection
>
> But I feel real awkward whenever I use the Control key.  For
> example, I try to open a file using C-x C-f, but how could I use
> my left hand to both press caps lock and x and proceed with caps
> lock and f?
>
> Is there anybody using this `original and best configuration'
> could tell me how do you use it, such as which finger press which
> key?

Hmm, I'm using the little finger of my left hand to press the CapsLock
key (bound to Control). This lets me reach C-a, C-e, C-f etc easily
with the other fingers of my left hand. I use the left Alt as Meta
with my left thumb.

It just something that takes getting used to. The upside is that it's
more ergonomical to have the Control key in the same height as the
most used keys used in conjunction with Control.

Original Unix had the Control key where the CapsLock key is
now. Allegedly MS moved Control to the bottom left corner to kill
WordStar or something :-)

/g.

--
Gustaf Erikson *  mobile 0733387618 * http://symbiandiaries.com/gustaf