Re: Using the `Win' key as `Ctrl' in Emacs?

From: Xiaoyong Jin
Subject: Re: Using the `Win' key as `Ctrl' in Emacs?
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:14:40 +0800

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:47:47 +0200
Gustaf Erikson <gustafe+usenet@openbsd.agero.se> wrote:

> Xiaoyong Jin <tootiny@163.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:30:35 +0200
> > Gustaf Erikson <gustafe+usenet@openbsd.agero.se> wrote:
> >

> >> Have you tried mapping your caps lock key to Control?
> >>
> >> It's the original and best configuration :-)
> >>
> >> I think there's an option in XFree86 for this.
> >>
> >> /g.
> >>

> > Now I'm using caps lock key as left Control as you suggested by
> > put these in my XF86Config file:
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >     Identifier  "Keyboard0"
> >     Driver      "keyboard"
> >     Option "XkbRules"   "xfree86"
> >     Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
> >     Option "XkbLayout" "us"
> >     Option  "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
> > EndSection
> >
> > But I feel real awkward whenever I use the Control key.  For
> > example, I try to open a file using C-x C-f, but how could I use
> > my left hand to both press caps lock and x and proceed with caps
> > lock and f?
> >
> > Is there anybody using this `original and best configuration'
> > could tell me how do you use it, such as which finger press which
> > key?
>
> Hmm, I'm using the little finger of my left hand to press the CapsLock
> key (bound to Control). This lets me reach C-a, C-e, C-f etc easily
> with the other fingers of my left hand. I use the left Alt as Meta
> with my left thumb.
>
> It just something that takes getting used to. The upside is that it's
> more ergonomical to have the Control key in the same height as the
> most used keys used in conjunction with Control.
>
> Original Unix had the Control key where the CapsLock key is
> now. Allegedly MS moved Control to the bottom left corner to kill
> WordStar or something :-)

Ah, it's the first time I hear about it.  To be frankly, I never
use the CapsLock key, and for a long time I was wandering why
someone put this useless key here.  ;-)

> /g.
>
> --
> Gustaf Erikson *  mobile 0733387618 * http://symbiandiaries.com/gustaf
>
> I am not certified to remove asbestos.
>                                                         -- Bart Simpson

Thank you for your detailed explanation.  I now think that I'd
better get used to it.

By the way, do you not use the right Control key?

--

Simple is the best.  ;-)