Re: emacs for everything?

From: Floyd L. Davidson
Subject: Re: emacs for everything?
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:45:55 -0900

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> wrote:
>floyd@barrow.com (Floyd L. Davidson) writes:
>
>> Of course, again, the point is that an X window manager is
>> flexible, and *any* of those options can be changed to suit
>> *any* user.
>
>Oh, no!  I've tried twm, piewm, olvwm, mwm, dtwm, ctwm, fvwm1, fvwm2,
>wmaker, ion, larswm, wmx, sawfish, MetaCity, ratpoison, IceWM,
>BlackBox, FluxBox, OpenBox, and perhaps some others, and none of them
>suits me, and none of them was flexible enough.
>
>Currently, I use OpenBox.  It's painful, but I can bear it.

What????  You don't just switch back and forth between
virtual consoles...  :-)

I am really interested in just what put OpenBox on the top of
your list, and what makes it painful too.  Given that list, you
must have a well developed concept of what is of value to you in
a window manager.  Can you give a brief (or not if the mood
strikes you) description of what you do or don't like in a
window manager?

For me personally the more you can relate it to fvwm2, the more
I'll be able to understand.  I've been tweeking fvwm or fvwm2
for well over a decade, so it's the only one that I can claim to
actually understand.  A few years ago I did make an effort to
check out several others, but that's been so long that I don't
even remember which ones or how many.

Maybe even just a list of "must have" and "cannot live with"
type things???

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com