Re: INFORMAL SURVEY: blinking cursor

From: Daniel Wright
Subject: Re: INFORMAL SURVEY: blinking cursor
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:12:25 +0100

Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
> * do you think it is an imposition to put:
>     (blink-cursor-mode 0)
>   in ~/.emacs to turn it off?

Could someone please explain why it would be an imposition to put such a line in your .emacs file? Is there another way to do it? I have other such things like
(menu-bar-mode 0)
(tool-bar-mode 0)
knocking about in my .emacs, and thought they belonged there.
I'm just young and curious, and know no other way to adjust such things!
Thanks,
Daniel.

* have you tried using emacs w/ the blinking box cursor?
Yes, I've always used it - I first learned through this thread that I could turn it off!
* do you find it uncomfortable?
  (if "no", you can skip the next question.)
No, or I would've tried to do something about it!
* do you think it is an imposition to put:
    (blink-cursor-mode 0)
  in ~/.emacs to turn it off?
No, but I'm waiting to see if someone can explain why - see the above question.

* do you use another shape cursor (such as vertical bar)?
  if so, which?
No
* how do the shape and the blinking affect your (dis)comfort?
  (i'm looking for correlation info, such as:
    shape: box, blinking: on, i-find-it: unbearable
    shape: vertical bar, blinking: on, i-find-it: no-worries
  in the response.)
box,blinking,happy
* is cursor blinking a feature you would be inclined to
  change during an editing session?  if so, how often?
No
* how do the number of frames visible and the blinking affect
  your (dis)comfort?  (again, looking for correlation info.)
I rarely work with more that one frame, but use multiple windows.