Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?

From: Thomas A. Horsley
Subject: Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:45:44 GMT

>If these two examples are the only problems that bug you, it seems
>like you are jumping to conclusions: the cause of your trouble is your
>own customizations, and perhaps also a few packages that are not part
>of the normal Emacs distribution.

Perhaps not his own customizations: I know (from my experience beating them
into submission) that the redhat fedora distribution and the suse
distribution both do wacky stuff to emacs. I was able to fix redhat with my
.emacs file once I discovered their annoying site-lisp/default.el file, but
I never did figure out why suse emacs was so strange - I finally just built
a nice clean emacs distribution from source and ignored suse's utterly and
all my suse emacs problems disappeared.

As far as new features being on by default goes, I can understand why
leaving them on might be a good idea. If I hate them it gives me an
incentive to read up on them to figure out how to turn them off, and if I
like them, I'd probably never see them unless they were on by default,
because I certainly never read the NEWS file unless I'm forced to :-).

I do think it would be a good idea if every item in NEWS came with
a snippit of lisp code you could cut & paste into your .emacs to turn
it off (most of them time, additional research is required once
you learn the name of the feature to discover how to actually disable
it).
--
      email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL      |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+