Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?

From: Thomas A. Horsley
Subject: Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:13:01 GMT

>I think it probably wouldn't be too ungodly hard to write a
>`what-just-happened' function (but I'm not sure).

I don't know about that. Certainly the lisp interpreter should know
what function slots it has been executing through. Seems like it would
be primarily a job of adding a gazillion entry "recently called functions"
array together with some AI for filtering which functions in the
array are important to describe "what just happened" (something like
keeping track of how frequently each entry was called and recognizing
that someone saying "what just happened" was probably startled
by some function that hasn't been called much up to this point. Maybe
toss in some weighting factor for functions that have changed or are new
since the last release as well). Seems almost doable (says someone
who is not volunteering :-).
--
      email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL      |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+