Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 21:33:42 +0200

> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:49:13 +0100
> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
> CC: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> >Go to this URL:
> >

> > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdl_pif_dwfo.asp
> >
> >and then look in the section Printing Processes.
> >

> Thanks, but that was on of the pages I have been reading. It is a good
> overview to start with. I am however looking for something about where
> in that picture something like
>
>     c:\> copy file.txt \\host-name\queue-name
>
> ties in. (Or dito using LPT1 etc.)

AFAIU, these queues are watched by the spooler, which sends the text
to a printer processor for the designated printer.  The printer
processor converts the text into a data stream suitable for the
printer hardware (e.g., a stream of PCL commands), and then sends that
data stream back to the spooler.  The spooler then sends the data to
the relevant printer monitor, which actually controls the printer's
hardware port.