Re: newbie needs help

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: newbie needs help
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 16:38:34 +0100

"len" <pcslen@comcast.net> writes:
> I am trying to change the keymapping for the control key and caps lock.
>  I have successfully accomplished this through xmodmap in my gui
> environment.  I would like to do the same in the command line
> environment.  I have read the man pages in xmodmap and have found the
> lines of code.  I do not know where to put the code.  I am trying to
> learn Linux/Unix and Emacs.

If by "command line environment" you mean the linux console, then
you'll have to edit a kmap file and load it with loadkeys.

Copy and edit one of the files in /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/
Use loadkeys to load it.
How to make it remanent depends on your distribution.

> Also because I have a dual boot system I would like to make the same
> key swap in my windows XP because I have also loaded Emacs there also.

neither do we. -- Georges W. Bush