RE: save/restore frame positions

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: save/restore frame positions
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 19:25:58 -0700

    Often when I start emacs I find myself creating several frames and
    sizing/positioning them in a certain way.  Is there any elisp modules
    out there that will let me save the current state (size and position at
    least) of all the frames and then restore that state later?  I've tried
    a few modules several months ago that sound like they could do things
    like this, but they either just dealt with the current frame, or just
    plain didn't work.  I already use the desktop module to
    save/restore the
    state of the buffers for my various projects, so it would be nice to
    also be able to do the frames too.

Yes, you can define a frame configuration that you can return to later. You
can save a (window or) frame configuration in a register and then restore it
later. `C-x r f R' saves the current state of all frames in register R. See
Emacs manual, node RegConfig.

Library `doremi-frm.el' (which requires a few other libraries) provides an
easy way to use frame configurations interactively. You can have a ring of
frame configurations, and then use command `doremi-frame-configs' to cycle
among them.

`doremi-frm.el' automatically pushes each change you make to a frame (using
DoReMi commands) to a ring of frame configs. For example, if you use
`doremi-frame-height' to incrementally change the height of a frame, then
the change is recorded in the frame-config ring.

In general, `doremi-frm.el' is not about frame configs; this is a side
feature. It is about making incremental changes to frames interactively:
color, size, position, font, faces, whatever. You do this using either a
mouse wheel or the arrow keys (press & hold to increase/decrease a frame
parameter until you get what you like).

After making a change that you like, you can copy it to your
`default-frame-alist' (or another frame alist) using DoReMi commands, and
then you can save the `default-frame-alist' change persistently using
Customize.

Here's the doc on DoReMi, which describes DoReMi frame commands and provides
links to download the libraries:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DoReMi.