Re: How to get rid of stock (standard) speedbar if do not have root acce

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: How to get rid of stock (standard) speedbar if do not have root access?
Date: 15 Dec 2006 09:03:39 -0800

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> Robert Thorpe wrote:
> > Ken Goldman wrote:
> >> I find that if I put my local .el file directory in load-path ahead of
> >> the system version, it uses mine.  So I don't delete old ones.  I just
> >> install new ones in my local .el directory.
> >
> > This mostly works, there are some gotchas though.  Defvar does not
> > change the value of variables that are already defined.   So if an old
> > version of Foo.el sets up variables in a particular way, then when you
> > load the new version those variables will be set the same way they were
> > in the old version.  Using "unload" too is safer.
>
> That problem only occurs when the library in question is dumped in to
> the emacs executable (see loadup.el).

Mostly that's true, but it's not really specific to things that are
dumped.

The issue applies to all variables/fns initialized by Emacs, but not to
things that are autoloaded.  Often, the set of all variables
initialized is the same as the set of what is dumped into the Emacs
executable.

But, lets say your .emacs file loads foo.el, or triggers the loading of
foo.el by using an autoloaded function or causing an autoloaded
function to be loaded indirectly through some other function.  If this
happens and you replace foo.el with another library later then the
issue may occur.

None of this is a big problem of-course.