Re: slrn and emacsclient

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: Re: slrn and emacsclient
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 02:36:47 GMT

On 2007-02-05, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 05.02.2007 um 16:02 schrieb Tyler Smith:
>
>>> When GNU Emacs runs in some terminal emulation it is no
>>> X client anymore. It receives key events which the terminal emulation
>>> has received first, filtered, and then passed to programmes running
>>> in it: a shell, vi, hangman, GNU Emacs ...
>>
>> Is this true for all terminal emulators, or is there one that is
>> better for use with emacs, ie. one that passes the meta key events on
>> to emacs without altering them?
>
> *I* don't know of any exception.

Well, to answer my own question, I found one with some help from the
Debian people. Xterm will accpet Alt/Meta modifiers, with the
following line in your .Xresources file:

xterm*metaSendsEscape: true

This works for me with Debian testing, YMMV. There's also a package
called XtermExtras, with an .el file, .inputrc and .Xresources
modifications available at the EmacsWiki.

--
Regards,

Tyler Smith