Re: Charset problem

From: Christian Schröder
Subject: Re: Charset problem
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 17:03:43 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
You mean, even with "C-x RET c latin-1 C-x C-f" Emacs still claims
that the umlauts are eight-bit-graphic characters?  That is soooo
strange!

Ok, it just became even more strange ...
I did not mention (sorry!) that I was in a "screen" session when I did all the tests. When I realized that this might be the reason for my problems I tried to simply log into the server and start Emacs directly and ... tadaa ... all the umlauts were there. Ok, so screen seemed to be the culprit. To verify this suspicion I started screen and then Emacs ... and it still worked. So something seems to be wrong with the "screen" session I used for all my tests, but I have no idea what it could be. I dumped the whole environment to a file and sourced this file into a fresh shell, but it still worked, so the environment doesn't seem to have anything to do with my problem. Is it worth to further investigate this issue? At least I can start to work now, but it would still be interesting what's wrong with the screen session ...

What version of Emacs is that?  What does "M-x emacs-version RET" say?

If this information is still of any use:
GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i586-suse-linux-gnu) of 2006-11-27 on tanajew

If I may ask one last question: I normally have my PuTTY translation set to UTF-8. Is it possible to make Emacs send me the ISO-8859-1 encoded umlauts as UTF-8 characters? Then I would not have to change the translation on my side.

Kind regards,
        Christian