Re: Charset problem

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Charset problem
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 17:59:44 +0200

Am 15.09.2007 um 17:03 schrieb Christian Schröder:

Is it possible to make Emacs send me the ISO-8859-1 encoded umlauts as UTF-8 characters?

Of course. When you launch GNU Emacs make it see environment variable LC_CTYPE be like de_DE.UTF-8. Then it would automatically switch to UTF-8 use. Otherwise this statement in some init file can make it:

        (prefer-coding-system   'utf-8)

Problems can arise when the file-name-coding-system is now different ...

Then I would not have to change the translation on my side.

You would need to convert some files, I think ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

"Reisen bildet - vor allem Staus auf Autobahnen." (Michael Schiff)