Re: Charset problem

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Charset problem
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 19:00:27 +0300

> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Schr=F6der?= <chschroe@math.uni-goettingen.de>
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:06:01 +0200
>
> > Btw, does it help to visit the file with "C-x RET c Latin-1 RET C-x C-f"
> > instead of the usual "C-x C-f"?
>
> "Latin-1" did not work ("No match"), so I used "iso-latin-1" (which is
> the default when I have the "de_DE" locale active) and saw no difference
> (which did not surprise me since "iso-latin-1" is the default).

You mean, even with "C-x RET c latin-1 C-x C-f" Emacs still claims
that the umlauts are eight-bit-graphic characters?  That is soooo
strange!

What version of Emacs is that?  What does "M-x emacs-version RET" say?

Anyway, I just logged into a GNU/Linux box from Windows using
ISO-8859-1 as encoding in Translation page, and I see the u-umlaut
characters in your example file just fine, with PuTTY version 0.58
that uses Courier New font for display.  I see 3 1's in the left edge
of the mode line, meaning that keyboard and terminal are set to use
Latin-1 and the file is decoded as Latin-1 as well.

I wonder why you see something different.