Re: Emacs documentation. Was My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice aga

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Emacs documentation. Was My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 10:26:39 -0600

>>>>> "Dave" == Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> writes:

Dave> Because XML is more flexible and a more modern standard for
Dave> documentation IMHO.

But consider the current situation: there is a lot of Texinfo source
throughout the GNU suite; it is known by many GNU developers; tools
(well, one tool: makeinfo) for generating output from it exist and
work pretty well; and the output is in wide use in a variety of
formats.

This means there is a lot of inertia.  Any proposed change has to
carry with it a large, tangible benefit -- precisely because the cost
of switching is so high.

Personally, I like Texinfo well enough, though honestly I don't really
relish writing in any documentation format :-).

I still use info every day; I've always suspected that the vocal
anti-info contingent out there has never really given it a try :}.

Tom