Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell

From: Livin Stephen
Subject: Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 01:08:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 12, 9:20 pm, "Francis Moreau" <francis.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm still trying to do all my jobs inside emacs but I'm missing a couple
> things.
>
> The first one is what I can't do anymore when working with a shell/terminal
> inside emacs.
>
>   1/ Most applications based on ncurse behave strangely when using
>       M-x term
>
>   2/ Although M-x shell has history reference completions, it doesn't complete
>       for '!#:<n>'. But '!!:<n>' works fine though.
>
>   3/ There's no readline "reverse-search-history" function (C-r) which does
>      an _incremental_  search;
>
>   4/ There's no readline "yank-last-arg" function which inserts the last
>       argument to the previous commands
>
>   5/ emacs doesn't expand shell variable when hitting <TAB>
>
> Am I missing something ?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Francis

Hi, FM.
I too found M-x term to initially fall terribly short - but not
anymore :)

YMMV, but I had to "export TERM=xterm" in my ~/.bashrc  to make M-x
term work as per expectations...
- i.e. to be usable for everyday use: on my Mac I'm perfectly happy
with it's behaviour now!

 (previous value in M-x term term used to show $TERM to be eterm-color
or something like that)

After this change my man-pages, etc don't look like their full of odd
characters (especiallly when trying to print single-quotes), nor is
man-page text underlined randomly .

This TERM change definitely took care of at least issues 3/, and 5/
which you mention
 - I have both "C-r" history-search and "TAB"-completion of shell-vars
AND file-names working.

Cheers
 --livin.stephen