Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:00:16 +0200

Hello,

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Livin Stephen <livin.stephen@gmail.com> wrote:

> YMMV, but I had to "export TERM=xterm" in my ~/.bashrc  to make M-x
> term work as per expectations...

hmm I'm probably missing something here but why exporting TERM=xterm
would change anything since it is already if you're using a window
manager.

> - i.e. to be usable for everyday use: on my Mac I'm perfectly happy
> with it's behaviour now!

ah ok you're using a Mac, so that explains probably why you need to export TERM

>  (previous value in M-x term term used to show $TERM to be eterm-color
> or something like that)

yes and that should be again the case. Let see:

  $ TERM=xterm emacs
  < M-x term>
  $ echo $TERM
  eterm-color

I don't understand how you did that.

> After this change my man-pages, etc don't look like their full of odd
> characters (especiallly when trying to print single-quotes), nor is
> man-page text underlined randomly .

did you try to start mutt for example ?

> This TERM change definitely took care of at least issues 3/, and 5/
> which you mention
>  - I have both "C-r" history-search and "TAB"-completion of shell-vars
> AND file-names working.

I don't think so, I'm talking about expansion, not completion for issue 5)

Thanks
--
Francis