RE: Info nodes titles font size customization

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Info nodes titles font size customization
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 12:37:22 -0700

> > Uh, use `custom-set-faces' in ~/.emacs?
> >
> > If you never use Customize, then Customize will never
> > overwrite the `(custom-set-faces ...)' that you put in
> > your ~/.emacs.
>
> To better explain what I mean, suppose that I want a
> ps-top-margin of 20pt.  If
> I do `M-x customize-group RET ps-psrint RET' and do my setting via
> customization, in my .emacs the following ugly stuff will
> automatically appear:
>
> (custom-set-variables...)
>
> ; instead, all I need is to write:
> (setq ps-top-margin 5)
>
> , which is much more tiny and simple.  I wish something
> similar in this case.

Faces are different from variables. Nevertheless, there are other ways to change
face properties than using `custom-set-faces'. Look at `defface' and functions
such as `set-face-attribute' (`set-face-*', in general).

However, this is what I'd recommend: Set variable `custom-file' to the name of a
different file from `.emacs', e.g. `~/rodolfo-custom-file', and then use
Customize. It's much easier and cleaner than you think. This will keep all of
the ugly Customize-maintained stuff out of your `.emacs'. See the Emacs manual,
node Saving Customizations.