Re: Emacs Wiki Revision History

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs Wiki Revision History
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 00:53:08 +0200

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Alex Schroeder <kensanata@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 Okt., 16:35, Bastien <bastiengue...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> The "doku" from "dokuwiki" tells it: it was first designed with the
>> purpose of letting people write good documentation collaboratively.
>
> Hm. It seems that "write good documentation collaboratively" can be
> achieved with any tool that allows authors to collaborate when writing
> text. I'd be surprised if the software used can make a mediocre text
> "good".

I think EmacsWiki is a very good invention, but there are some things
that I have been missing. Those things falls in between good
collaboration and assisting software.

What I am thinking of is marking advices and code with notes about
where they work or/and are tested. Simple examples are Emacs version,
but it could also be combinations of different kinds (using a minor
mode together with a certain major mode etc).

I believe the wiki software could provide some help for structuring
this but I do not even have an idea for the structure and far less for
what assistance the software could give. It looks difficult but useful
to me.

Perhaps this could grow spontaneously on the wiki with time, perhaps
some assistance by the software is needed. I believe in the latter but
I fear any assistance of that kind might put too much restrictions on
writing.

When I have come that far in my thoughts I am a bit stuck.