Re: emacs-w3m question

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: Re: emacs-w3m question
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 20:02:37 +0000

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

>> For historical reasons, emacs does not use any keybindings involving
>> the Shift with a letter. (e.g. there's no ???Meta Shift a???, or ???Control
>> Shift a???) This is so because in early computing environment, Ctrl+Shift
>> +???letter??? cannot be distinguished from the non-Shift version, due to a
>> practical combination of ASCII???, Computer terminal???, telnet???.
>
> Even today, these combinations are only usable on some of Emacs's target
> environments, so it's not a brilliant idea to make standard bindings out
> of them.  However, that leaves a massive amount of space for personal key
> bindings.  They're awkward to type, though.

Indeed. I'm reading (and writing) this using gnus. On emacs. On a
machine about 8 miles away. Using ssh with cygwin (eugh). Because of
some weird problems with cygwin deleting frames if you accidentally
mouse-2 on them (!), I'm using the new multiheaded emacs and emacsclient
-nw.

Anyway, stuff Ctrl-Shift-blah. For me, Ctrl-h is indistinguishable from
DEL!

Rupert