Re: emacs mode line suggestions

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: emacs mode line suggestions
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:52:14 +0100

Hello Alan,

Alan> There are lots of ways of switching buffers, none objectively the
Alan> best. You've assumed the axiom of choice in your paragraph above;
Alan> namely that there is some way of choosing a "best" way for each of
Alan> the uncountably infinite options in Emacs. You give yourself away
Alan> with the words "something like". ;-)

I used this words because any of them would do better than the current
behaviour. This of course reflect mainly my opinion, but because I have
some experience at teaching emacs to beginners, I can tell you it is
a general feeling among them. Of course, you can argue that most student
have no critisism and just like what the teacher like. That would be
a valid point, but I honnestly have the feeling that it helps them a lot.

I just noticed again than one can switch buffers from the menu. This is
also an intuitive behaviour for beginners, indeed, but I would prefer to
give them the right tools to use emacs more easily from the keyboard.

Regards,

--
  Paul