Re: how to change C-x prefix to C-k in a clean way?

From: Raoul Gough
Subject: Re: how to change C-x prefix to C-k in a clean way?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:50:43 +0000

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> In comp.emacs Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think it's simply
>
>>> ? ? (global-set-key (kbd "C-k") ctl-x-map)
>
>>> See (info "(elisp) Prefix Keys")
>
>> that doesn't seems to work though.
>
>> I was excited for a moment, then it turns out not working.
>> When you do C-h v, it still consider C-x a prefix even if you set it
>> to nil...
>
> After that, bind C-x to whatever you want in the global map.  Repeat
> for all other existing keymaps (mapatoms and keymap-p are your friends).

I started off down that path once, because I wanted C-j to work like
C-x in all modes. However, I now do it like this instead:

(keyboard-translate ?\C-j ?\C-x) ;; Make C-j do C-x for easier typing

To get the kill-region bound to C-x in all cases, I think you'd just
have to do this:

(keyboard-translate ?\C-x ?\M-w)

In my case, choosing C-j was actually a little unfortunate, because in
some modes the original meaning of C-j is useful (mainly when it has a
meaning distinct from ENTER). I probably should have gone with C-k,
but now I'm used to C-j I don't want to change :-)

[followups set to comp.emacs only]

--
Raoul Gough.