Re: Annotating Info Pages?

From: Shaun Johnson
Subject: Re: Annotating Info Pages?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:25:18 +0100

Tim Visher wrote:
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> wrote:
Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

   Hello Everyone,

   I understand that there's a way to bookmark an info file so that I can
   easily reference things that interest me later on.  Is there also a
   way to annotate info files such that I add my own little notes along
   the way in a browsable or at least visible fashion from within the
   Info file?

   Thanks in advance!

While doing `e' in an *info* buffer and installing ipa.el are something
to look into, Bookmarks is part of Emacs and does a simple job in a
single separate .emacs.bmk file, or as many .bmk files as you'd like to
have.  Bookmarks may also be annotated.

I'm interested in why ipa.el is preferable to Bookmarks.

Actually, I don't know much about either option.  I figured that
Bookmarks would allow me to mark a spot and give it a name or some
brief description so that I could get back to it quickly.  By
annotating I mean writing extensive notes and attaching them to a
given paragraph or word or something along those lines.  If I can do
that with Bookmarks then that's a nice win.  Probably at some point
today I'll read up on both.  I'll send out my decision for those who
are interested.

Thanks again for the help!

Another option is to use Org mode together with org-annotate-file.el, this is
mentioned at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/index.php. This might be
preferable to ipa.el if you already use Org mode.

Shaun.