Re: Setting up nnmairix

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Setting up nnmairix
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 20:38:05 +0200

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
> On Jul 3, 12:28 am, David Engster <d...@randomsample.de> wrote:
>>
>> Some people are not comfortable with some program creating new folders
>> on their primary mail back end, so you can simply create another (nnml
>> or nnmaildir) and let nnmairix use that one.

> I created a nnml backend called 'mairix' but it's simply almost empty:
>
> $ tree -a Mail/mairix
> Mail/mairix
> |-- .marks
> `-- mairix
>     `-- .marks
>
> And after a search (G b s), results go to Mail/zz_mairix-mairix-1
> directory, but I thought it would go to Mail/mairix...
>
> Here is what I got when I look at the mairix group parameters:
>
> (nnmairix "mairix"
>           (nnmairix-backend nnml)
>           (nnmairix-backend-server "")
>           (nnmairix-mairix-command "mairix")
>           (nnmairix-hidden-folders nil)
>           (nnmairix-default-group "mairix"))

Your nnmairix server uses the "nnml:" default server (see the
nnmairix-backend-server variable).

For example, a possible setup could look like this

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml ""))
      '((nnml "mairixresults" (nnml-directory "~/mairixresults"))))

As you can see, the nnml-directory for the second server is not in
~/Mail. Otherwise, the default nnml server, which lives in ~/Mail, could
mess with the mairix results.

Now you could delete all your old mairix groups, restart Gnus, and
create a new nnmairix server. This time, simply choose
nnml:mairixresults as the back end.

Just to make things clear: you do not have to use a different nnml
server for the mairix results; it will work with your default nnml back
end just fine.

-David