Re: How to learn elisp ?

From: despen
Subject: Re: How to learn elisp ?
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 19:28:33 -0400

waterloo <waterloo2005@gmail.com> writes:

> I am not a programmer.
> I have used emacs for a period of time .
> I have read `A Introduction to emacs lisp' and Orelly's Learn Gnu Emacs
> 3ed .
>
> Now I am reading `Emacs Lisp Reference' , I feel it is harder and my
> progress is slow.
>
> How to learn elisp ? Because I need to write or modify some functions.
>
> Do I need to read Emacs Lisp Reference wholely ?

You say you are not a programmer, but you want to write some programs.

Maybe if you describe what you want to do, someone can tell you if
you are over your head or maybe there is something similar to what
you want that you can make minor changes to.

You should know that you can use Emacs's keyboard macro recording
to write primitive functions.