Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar

From: Jeff Clough
Subject: Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 11:28:14 -0400

Bastien wrote:

;; Don't use nntp at all
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil))

;; Use nnml to read email
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))

;; Fetch emails from the mail pool
(setq mail-sources '((file :path "/var/mail/guerry"))
This seems very promising! I'll hit it later this afternoon and see how things turn out.
I've also taken a glance at VM and would like to go further, but I see
no direct evidence that it works with Emacs 22.x.  Is anyone using VM
with a recent Emacs on Windows XP?

Make sure you also have a look at Mew: http://www.mew.org
I've got a tab open to this now.  Thanks again!
Before anyone seriously suggests moving to linux as a solution to my
problem (which seems dangerously near), let me just clarify something.
I'm well aware of my options in that regard and am very familiar with
all things *nixen.  Switching from Windows XP to *nix for email is not
going to happen.  Not at all.  And I'm not interested in explaining why
I won't or listening to why I should.

(That sounds a bit angry, no?)
This happens a lot. Like, every time I have any issue whatsoever with a piece of open source software. You'd think the problem wouldn't be present during those many years I ran linux for my primary desktop machine, but then it just becomes "You're using the wrong distro."

I prefer my mail to always be in bsd mbox files because that's still
what 90% of the world expects your mail to be in, can be manipulated by
any code that operates on text files and doesn't break when I move from
OS to OS.  And speed shouldn't be a factor when your mua does proper
indexing.

You sound a bit fussy about all those things.
Only in-so-far as I have requirements. Other people have requirements to. Some people require that every piece of software they run be GPL'd.

In specific regard to mbox files, I've prioritized interoperability and the ability to treat my mail as text. It's useful when I want to hack out some code that, say, gets all the YouTube URLs from the mail folder "Videos", passes them to another script that will download the files and I don't want to have to change that code when the mua changes.
While your arguments might be very right to you, you'll certainly get
more helpful answers with a more open-minded attitude.

I'm very open-minded, especially when it comes to potential solutions to a problem I'm faced with. But I've also been fairly clear that I'm working with Windows and mbox files. Solutions that suggest I no longer do this aren't really solutions at all. It's like having my car run out of gas on the highway, then having someone come along and tell me to get a hybrid.

I think I'll get more helpful answers when I'm clear about what I need.

Thanks again for the info above!

Jeff

--

Author of the Genesys System