Re: More emacs instances

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: More emacs instances
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:45:18 -0700

On Tue, Aug 17 2010, Richard Riley wrote:

> Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>>

>>> This isnt a problem. Each one is a different
>>> gnus-secondary-select-method.
>>>

>> Yes that's clear.
>> But the power of offlineimap is that I would be able to clone only one
>> Maildir with everything inside.
>
> I dont see how that is the power. You can clone multiple accounts with
> offlineimap.

I know this topic is straying a bit and perhaps should be on the gnus
list, but since we're talking about it…

I am using gmail POP and want to switch to IMAP, using offlineimap.
Since I've been deleting mails from the server under POP usage, I've
only got the most recent month or so of mail on the gmail servers.

Now if I switch to a setup where gnus and offlineimap use the same
maildir for their mail, that means my old messages will be deleted (or
at least can't be stored in that maildir) when I switch to IMAP, right?
But if offlineimap populates a maildir, and gnus uses it as a mail
source to slurp up its messages, does that mean that from here on out
I'll have two copies of all my mail: offlineimap's maildir, and gnus'
group folders? Is it possible to delete the retrieved messages from
offlineimap's maildir, without confusing offlineimap?

I hope this makes sense! I'm sure there's a simple solution, and I'll be
backing up thoroughly before I mess with it, but I'd love to hear how
this works for other people…

Thanks!
Eric