Re: line-move-visual

From: Patrick May
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:13:50 -0000

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:
> It's far from obvious that this change (line-visual-mode being set) is
> a Bad Thing.  Without it, moving around things like log files with 300
> character lines was an utter pain.  I'd suggest it was more of a pain
> than the one you're suffering, because it hit users using Emacs in its
> principal way of working, rather than in special cases in some obscure
> feature (keyboard macros).

     Keyboard macros are far from obscure.  I use them daily at least.

>> Yeah, right.  The "fundamental problem" that CTRL/A, CTRL/E, CTRL/N,
>> CTRL/P, etc. moved to predictable places in the file no matter what
>> the screen width, and thus could be relied upon for a cookbook
>> procedure.
>
> Now you've got to take screen width into account.  Big deal.

     It is a big deal when it breaks existing code.  Backwards
compatibility is important.

> And it was dashed near impossible to move easily to the middle of
> long, long lines.

     C-u <some number> right-arrow

Sincerely,

Patrick

http://www.softwarematters.org
Large scale, mission-critical, distributed OO systems design and
implementation.  (C++, Java, Common Lisp, Jini, middleware, SOA)