Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Andrea Crotti
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:04:01 +0100

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:

> No need to bring in the bigger guns.  It could just be some scheduled
> activity by who-knows what package.  If Emacs Lisp had both a tracing
> and a profiling utility, I would have squashed the bug already.

Never heard of packages scheduling activities, but I might be wrong.
You should know what external stuff you installed, try to disable some
stuff and see again.

And btw there tracing and debugging step by step works pretty well,
maybe it's just you not knowing how to use it.
(check the info page)

> "emacs -Q" is effective in deciding whether something comes from
> Emacs' default behavior or from some package.  Once you have decided
> it must be some package, that's the hairy part where Emacs debugging
> tools aren't up to the task.  That's why I have said that users have
> pushed Emacs beyond its capabilities:  IDE, mail-reader... guys, here
> we have just a simple text editor which doesn't pretend to by anything
> else.

Last time I had two reboot my machine emacs had an uptime of 55 days.
In those days I wrote thousands of lines of code, compiled, wrote mails
with gnus and basically did everything I need to do but twice as fast as
the IDE guys ;)

If you really think it's just a simple text editor then
- stop using it
- be happy with your wonderful IDE
- look for another simpler editor

If instead you would like to learn more try to be more constructive to
spot your problem and to solve future problems.

You should try to solve your problem, and when you get stuck, describe
the situation and send your questions to the list, I'm sure you'll solve
it quickly and learning something new.

But it should be clear that the implication
my Emacs hangs -> IDEs are better

it's completely nonsense, and rather ridicolous from my point of view.