Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:35:56 +0100

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:

> No need to bring in the bigger guns.  It could just be some scheduled
> activity by who-knows what package.  If Emacs Lisp had both a tracing
> and a profiling utility, I would have squashed the bug already.

It has.  trace-function and elp.

>> This is not my experience.  What I observe, is that emacs has an uptime
>> only limited by the uptime of the underlying system.
>
> "emacs -Q" is effective in deciding whether something comes from
> Emacs' default behavior or from some package.  Once you have decided
> it must be some package, that's the hairy part where Emacs debugging
> tools aren't up to the task.

No, that's the easy part: you have all the sources available, you have
an embedded debugger, tracer, profiler, documentation, editor, a while
integrated lisp developping environment.

> That's why I have said that users have
> pushed Emacs beyond its capabilities:  IDE, mail-reader... guys, here
> we have just a simple text editor which doesn't pretend to by anything
> else.

No.  emacs is a lisp machine, and like any computer, you stack on it an
OS, a user interface, a shell, an editor, and all kinds of applications
and utilities.