[OT] LISP community advocacy [was Re: How to improve the readability of

From: Tim Harig
Subject: [OT] LISP community advocacy [was Re: How to improve the readability of (any) LISP or any highlevel functional language to the level of FORTH ?]
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 01:35:58 +0000 (UTC)

On 2011-01-04, Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
>> On 2011-01-04 08:02:35 +0000, Tim Harig said:
>>
>>>     LISP users on the other hand, never seem to be able to let
>>>     go of LISP when the situation requires it.
>
> I would add that it is a mistake to judge a community of users based on
> a single forum. For example, many have complained about comp.lang.lisp
> and it is often viewed as being the lisp community. In reality, it is

I don't subscribe to c.l.l.  I came across this post in c.l.f and my post
is a general statement not really directed to the topic or poster but
merely to the comment about what is detrimental to the LISP community.

Most of my experience with LISP advocates comes from bleedthrough to
other groups or aquaintences in meat-space.  I would expect advocacy in a
group dedicated to the language.  In groups that are language agnostic,
I would expect a more sympathetic attitude towards other languages.
I certainly wouldn't expect them to spam groups dedicated to other
languages with LISP propoganda.