Re: using the debugger

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: using the debugger
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 16:33:26 +0100

On Fri, Apr 08 2011, Drew Adams wrote:

>> while I'm stepping through the calling of a function, it in turn calls
>> another function, which I don't really care about. I know what it's
>> going to return, I just want to get on with things, but the secondary
>> function is long and drawn-out and I have to hit "d" like
>> fifty times to get through it and back to the top-level function.
>> Can someone tell me how I can skip them?
>
> Use `c' to `c'ut to the `c'hase, skipping directly to the result of an
> evaluation.

That was it! I'd been assuming, for no good reason, that 'c' would
continue the entire evaluation of the top-level function, not just the
frame I happened to be on. Thanks!

> [Ken's reply about "instrumenting" was no doubt about using `edebug'.  I take
> it
> that you are instead using `debug' (which is what I use, FWIW).  IOW, I assume
> you're either calling `(debug)' in your code or doing `M-x debug-on-entry' or
> setting `debug-on-error' or `debug-on-quit' to non-nil.]

I am using 'debug', with debug-on-entry, but only just ten minutes ago
discovered edebug, so I'll look into that as well.

Thanks again.