Re: Why is TAB-completion in shell not working for some commands?

From: Jonathan Oddie
Subject: Re: Why is TAB-completion in shell not working for some commands?
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 17:06:26 +0000

Hi Marius and all,

> It sounds to me like OSX's launcher is not setting some environment
> variable that does get set when you run the terminal.  Possibly $FPATH.  I
> would guess that it's looking for and not finding a function called _a2ps
> to do the completion.

This rang a bell for me. When launching anything from the Finder the
PATH is not set correctly (since the Finder is not itself run from
your shell). I am a bit fuzzy now on the details of how `exec-path',
the PATH variable and tab-completion in shell-mode interact, but I
would suggest putting something in your .emacs or init.el file that
(1) sets the emacs variable `exec-path' to the sequence of directories
you expect to find in PATH, and (2) sets the environment variable PATH
based on that. Here's what I have, just as an example:

;; Exec-path and env variable
(setq exec-path
      (append '("/opt/local/bin" "/opt/local/sbin" "/opt/local/libexec/gnubin/"
                "/usr/local/mysql/bin/" "/usr/local/share/rhino" "~/bin")
              exec-path
              '("/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/"
                "/Applications/Racket v5.1.3/bin/")))

(setenv "PATH" (mapconcat 'identity exec-path ":"))

HTH,
Jonathan