Re: Mouse support does not work

From: Aaron Meurer
Subject: Re: Mouse support does not work
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 15:50:41 -0700

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 10.1.2012 um 23:06 schrieb Aaron Meurer:
>
>> Middle clicking (iTerm2 lets you set three
>> finger click to middle click) doesn't do anything, though that's
>> probably because it isn't set to do anything in my tests.  How can I
>> test this?
>
> Check it with: C-h k <some mouse event>.
>
> This will open a *Help* buffer with some explanations and possibly
> hyper-links. I think middle click or mouse-2 is context sensitive and gives
> different options in different (buffer) modes. Just try it with C-h k in
> *shell*, *scratch*, other buffers!
>

>> Now that this is working, I have some more questions, if you don't mind:
>>
>> - I have this setting, from customize:
>>
>> '(mouse-wheel-scroll-amount (quote (1)))
>>
>> which is supposed to make scrolling go one line at a time.  But it
>> goes at least two lines at a time. If I change the 1 to 2, it scrolls
>> by four lines at a time, and so on.  It won't let me enter 0.5.
>
> It might slow down by pressing the Shift button on the keyboard. This works
> in the X client variant fine, while the NS variant fails to understand this.
> (The NS variant is a native Mac OS X application using Quartz.) The "AppKit
> Emacs", a still called experimental hack, is very sane in this respect: very
> good scroll speed, including "momentum" and no complaints when overshoot,
> pressing Shift accelerates speed. It is also a native Quartz client, using
> almost no "external" libraries, i.e., it's something like 100 % Mac OS X,
> best when you have to use non-Latin scripts.

Shift scroll just disables scroll reporting in iTerm2.  Maybe I can
make it report Shift-mouse4/5.  I'll have to look into it.

Even so, based on customize, you can also set how many lines it
scrolls with Shift, and this is also 1 (or it was, but I removed it
because it's pointless).  So I don't actually have much hope for it.
But I'll see if I can get it to work.

I actually don't want to use a GUI version of emacs, for a few reasons:

First, no, it is not 100% Mac OS X.  Aquamacs comes closer, but even
that feels off. For example, neither use Lion scroll bars.  And in M-x
customize, instead of Cocoa controls, you have grey box controls.  I
want my Mac OS X applications to feel like Mac OS X and my terminal
applications to feel like the terminal.  emacs feels like the terminal
(this is kind of fundamental).

Second, starting a gui takes too long.  I want my editor in no more
than a few seconds.  This was one of the motivations to switching to a
command line editor in the first place.  This is especially important
for emacs, as it doesn't seem to work with type-ahead (unlike vim).

Third, now that I have mouse reporting working, I don't really need it.

I might use it when editing LaTeX so I can use the preview mode from
AUCTeX, but other than that, I'd like to stick to the terminal.  Other
than the fact that you're stuck with a mono-spaced font, it's not that
bad (can the GUI version of emacs use a non-monospaced font, btw?).

>> - I have momentum scrolling enabled, which means that I can "flick"
>> the scroll, and it will go aways.  But emacs beeps when it is at the
>> end and cannot scroll any more, which is really annoying in
>> conjunction with this, as it beeps several times when I "flick" past
>> the bottom or top.  Is there a way to disable this beeping?
>
> Use the above mentioned "AppKit Emacs" – you just need to compile and install
> it yourself. In the coming weeks we might experience the release of GNU Emacs
> 24.1 and later of "AppKit Emacs" 24.1 – right now it is based on GNU Emacs
> 23.3b, the current release of GNU Emacs.
>

>> - Is there a way to make scrolling not kill an I-search?
>
> I don't know! Why do you want to scroll in that "mode"? Because you want to
> centre the found text at the bottom? Then try C-l! Or press C-l twice. (Or
> three times...)

I want to scroll around and see what's highlighted, not press C-s a
bunch of times.  Scrolling gives me visual feedback on where I am in
the file that jump scrolling does not.  This is one of the reasons I
want it to scroll one line at a time.

And anyway, I've done enough customizations in emacs already that I've
learned to not take "no, why would you want to do that anyway" as an
answer.

Aaron Meurer