Re: Mouse support does not work

From: Aaron Meurer
Subject: Re: Mouse support does not work
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 05:50:56 -0700

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 10.1.2012 um 23:50 schrieb Aaron Meurer:
>
>> (can the GUI version of emacs use a non-monospaced font, btw?).
>
> Of course.

>>> I don't know! Why do you want to scroll in that "mode"? Because you want to
>>> centre the found text at the bottom? Then try C-l! Or press C-l twice. (Or
>>> three times...)
>>
>> I want to scroll around and see what's highlighted, not press C-s a
>> bunch of times.
>
> Make the window higher! You could have 100 lines displayed.

I already have my terminal full screen.

>>  Scrolling gives me visual feedback on where I am in
>> the file that jump scrolling does not.
>
> GNU Emacs allows to display line numbers in the mode-line. Put in the
> customisations section of your init file:
>
>        '(column-number-mode t)

I already have this.  That reminds me to look for a way to always show
the line numbers to the left of the text, though.

I just found the answer: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LineNumbers

> In GNU Emacs 23.3b the variable isearch-mode-map contains some mouse events.
> Maybe you can add mouse-4 and mouse-5...

I'll play around with this.  Actually, I'm starting to feel like I
should replace I-search with something else entirely, like maybe
re-builder (though this can be slow in my limited experience with it).
 It does several things I don't like:

- You have to press C-s twice to wrap around.  It's not so bad, but
it's confused me more than once into thinking that there were no
occurrences because they were all before the cursor.

- You can't edit the search buffer with editing commands.  This is the
most annoying.  If I press M-del to delete a search word, it instead
deletes the word under the cursor.  If I want to delete the word, I
have to repeatedly press delete.  It's even worse than that, because
pressing delete by default does a reverse i-search! So I have to
delete until I get back to the first occurrence, and then until I
delete the word.  Or just C-g and restart.

- As I noted, it kills the search when you scroll.  I just checked,
and re-builder doesn't do this.

>>  This is one of the reasons I want it to scroll one line at a time.
>
> The others?

Because it would be smoother.  Scrolling in the terminal is already
choppy due to the fact that you must scroll in one line increments.
Again, it's all about good visual feedback.

> Maybe the developers feel like me that scrolling around is a bit imprecise
> and you likely lose the place where isearch found the text...

This works fine everywhere else.  For example, try it in your web
browser (I can't imagine you use emacs for that too :).  Search for
something and scroll around.  You don't "lose" the position of the
current search.  If you press C-s or Command-s again, it jumps right
back to the next search.

I just checked, and in vim, you can scroll without loosing the search.
 It doesn't work exactly as I said above, as pressing n gives the
first occurrence on the screen instead of the next one.

Aaron Meurer