Re: a key system to replace gnu emacs's 1000 default keybindings

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: a key system to replace gnu emacs's 1000 default keybindings
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 09:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

On May 26, 8:57 am, Dan Espen <des...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Perhaps you should read more carefully.
>
> Thad remapped Caps Lock to ANOTHER Ctrl.
> He didn't SWAP anything.

that doesn't matter. Those who use capslock for Ctrl basically only
use that single key for Ctrl.

〈Emacs: Why You Should Not Swap {Caps Lock, Control} Keys〉
http://xahlee.org/emacs/swap_CapsLock_Ctrl.html

if you consider Capslock key useless, you can given it another
function. I've been using it as a modifier to insert unicode (e.g. APL
keyboard), or as emacs's M-x. Currently, it does emacs's mark. Still
experimental.

> When I want all uppercase,
> Emacs is fully capable of uppercasing as much typing as I need.

vast majority of people are not using emacs.

> I don't need or want a Caps Lock key anywhere on my keyboard.
>
> You'll need to create another write up that explains why
> we can't live without CAPS LOCK.

Thanks for asking.

I think the Caplock key should be eliminated, together with {Pause/
Break, Insert}. Though other problems of standard PC keyboard are more
critical for change. Detail:

〈Keyboard Hardware Design Flaws〉
http://xahlee.org/emacs/keyboard_problems.html

 Xah