Re: Issues with emacs

From: ken
Subject: Re: Issues with emacs
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 23:54:06 -0400

On 06/24/2012 02:39 AM rusi wrote:
On Jun 24, 7:39 am, ken<geb...@mousecar.com>  wrote:

5. Make the elisp documentation and tutorials so easy and fun to learn
that tons of people actually want to write code.

When I first started reading the emacs/elisp docs around 93 I found
them a model of clarity.
Has that changed much? I dont think so

tl;dr version: Saying that emacs manuals are not fun and easy to learn
is wrong.  Its just that reading them feels like 1980

I got into computers long before 1980... and read computer manuals back in the '70s just for fun-- even though I didn't then have a computer or access to one.

That said, please note that I was referring to *elisp* and never mentioned *emacs*. These are two quite different subjects and equating them and/or their documentation-- to borrow a phrase-- is just wrong.

The topic was emacs development and how to encourage it. This requires a knowledge of /elisp/. In the confusion the point I made was lost, so I'll say it again: To encourage development, there could be better elisp documentation and tutorials.