Re: don't show the $-bar that indicates text before and/or after the win

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: don't show the $-bar that indicates text before and/or after the window view, horizontally
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 19:23:14 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I don't understand why you say that.  There was nothing rude or
> "rough" in what I wrote, not a single rude or offensive word.
>
> I gave a comprehensive answer to the OP's questions.  I then
> suggested, given his apparent lack of knowledge about the stuff
> being discussed, to read about that in the manuals.  Since not
> knowing something is not something one should be ashamed of, how
> can a _suggestion_ to learn about that be "rude"?  And if it
> _is_ considered rude, I wonder what isn't.

I'm not ashamed of anything. What you said was basically:

"You should read, and as you don't even understand A, you
shouldn't mess with B, that's too advanced." (pseudo-quote, but
that's what you said)

But (1) I've read, and I'll read more, (2) I was in the process of
understanding A (at least that of A that mattered for the issue at
hand), and (3) I still don't believe B is particularly advanced or
in any way beyond my (or anyone else's) level.

That makes it even more rude, but even if you were absolutely
right - I think you should never, ever discourage
activity. Activity is the basis of everything. Discourage from
alcoholism, street fighting, etc., but not from people being
active with technology. I can't see that ever being the right
thing to do.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573