Re: Tried to bind Ctrl-c and to kill-ring-save (i.e. copy) and it *somet

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Tried to bind Ctrl-c and to kill-ring-save (i.e. copy) and it *sometimes* doesn't work with mouse!?!? Very confusing
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 12:30:45 +0200

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes but some keyboards move the arrow keys below the bottom row,
> so you don’t have to reach too far.

Perhaps better, still, I like my index fingers to always be at the
F and J buttons. Except when they are hitting other keys, of
course... Maybe "both hands at the middle letter row" is a better
way to describe it.

> And Shift+movement keys also enter the muscle memory

Yes.

> to the point that I have to specifically bind C-M-P and C-M-N in
> nxml-mode to functions that extend the region over the previous
> (resp. next) XML element.

And that is the *coolest* form of muscle memory, when it hooks to
the actual code (or markup) that you write (or edit). In general,
I don't like the notion of writing the same code (markup) every
day (as in "I'm a C programmer", "What languages do you know?",
etc. - I think all programming is the same) - *but* one undeniable
advantage would be that you could be active with the material in
the way you describe.

Well, if you are super-human, I guess it is possible to be that
way with many PLs/markups, memorizing them all, or at least all
the ones you use habitually. Did anyone on the list master this?
Without underrating my own ability, because part of the point is
that the same keystrokes work for (almost) all modes, I do think
that 99% of my shortcut use isn't "task-specific".

Speaking of XML, it is possible that some of what you have learned
there also applies to HTML, and even to the Lisp family. Lispers
always say that XML is a reinvention of the Lisp wheel of nested
lists, and association lists (alists) for unrestricted markup.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573