Re: Weirdness with Input Method/quail : how to figure out source of it?

From: Vladimir Lomov
Subject: Re: Weirdness with Input Method/quail : how to figure out source of it?
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 08:19:08 +0900

** Alex Kost [2013-08-16 00:59:42 +0400]:

> Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@gmail.com> writes:

>> My setup:
>> - two languages: English and Russian;
>> - standard QWERTY keyboard, *but* DVORAK layout for both terminal and X;
>> - standard Russian layout (ЙЦУКЕН).

>> * Problem 0

>> If layout were QWERTY and one uses 'russian-computer' Input Method then
>> letters on keys and
>> typed symbols, both English and Russian, are coincide. For instance, some
>> part of QWERTY
>> keyboard:

>> Page on EmacsWiki:
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WritingRussianWithDvorak

>> My variant of quail 'dvorak' layout:
>> https://raw.github.com/vp1981/scripts/master/emacs.d/misc/quail-dvorak.el

> Hello,

> I use the same layout combination: English Dvorak and Russian ЙЦУКЕН.
> Dvorak layout is set in X and is never switched when i'm in Emacs.
> Russian layout is turned on internally in Emacs with `set-input-method'.
> As you pointed "russian-computer" is working when global layout is
> QWERTY, happily there is "cyrillic-dvorak" for our Dvorak case:
> <http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/cyrillic-dvorak.el>.

> It is described in the EmacsWiki article you mentioned and this variant
> works perfectly for me, i didn't even try the other one, which you used
> for your "quail-dvorak.el".

> So I have (load "/path/to/cyrillic-dvorak.el") in my init.el; and i
> switch layouts with:
>   (set-input-method "cyrillic-dvorak")
>   (set-input-method nil).

> I hope it helps.

Thanks for confirmation that this way works too. Actually I used that
method earlier but faced with the same Problem 1, so I tried another
approach (IMHO, they are very simiral, both use quail techniques) and as
you see without luck.

> As for you Problem 1, i have never met such behaviour.

I have to admit I don't know what _exactly_ cause this behaviour, and
this drives me crazy, because I don't know how to reliably reproduce it
(sometimes I think it could be related with my settings, or that I use
Emacs compiled from bzr trunk...).

Does anyone know if there is a tool to automatically and interactively
type text in a window (frame in Emacs terminology) with specified speed?
I only tried xdotool but it 'type' very quickly (I already have idea to
use xdotool and sleep to control 'type' speed).

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she sends in terrific bills.
                -- Minna Antrim, "Naked Truth and Veiled Allusions"