Re: What are Emacs best uses?

From: Luca Ferrari
Subject: Re: What are Emacs best uses?
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 15:52:39 +0200

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM, Jorge <1gato0a@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.  What are the best uses of Emacs?

Don't know what is the "best" but my usage of emacs ranges from
editing source code (not Java, for that I hate to say I prefer an IDE)
and configuration files. I use it to edit documents, mainly in org
mode, and to manage some todos. Let's say I use Emacs for any
application I don't have a better application/editor.

>   What is Emacs really good for?

Interpreting elisp.

> Is it a good personal information manager?

I think it is, as well as unix tools and text files are.

> Can you manage your information (todo, grocery list, etc.) and sync with a
> smartphone?

My smartphone is not smart enough to sync with emacs.

>   Is Emacs adapting well to the changing computing landscape?

I believe it is, since Emacs pretty much remains the same (I mean,
with the same user interface), that is very important in a world that
changes. After all, why use Emacs for reading mails, edit source files
and the others? Because you can have all you keybings doing almost the
same in the environment. You don't need to learn another program for
each task, just a few keybindings into the same environment. This is
very important to me.

With regard to the Google integration of Emacs I don't have
experience, since I usually work behind a proxy and that is quite
nasty to setup with Emacs (in my opinion). By the way, I would love to
have Emacs integrating with google platform, I hate the web interface.
But to be honest, I believe this will hardly happen: after all you
have to buy google products to work with google stuff....

Luca