Re: What are Emacs best uses?

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: What are Emacs best uses?
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 20:45:43 +0200

Am 12.08.2013 20:08, schrieb Pascal J. Bourguignon:
Jorge <1gato0a@gmail.com> writes:

Hi.  What are the best uses of Emacs?  I currently use it to compose emails,
manage files, to edit LaTeX, and to edit source code and configuration files.
But Emacs seems to be mediocre at viewing PDFs.  Evince has better search.

   What is Emacs really good for?  Is it a good personal information manager?
Can you manage your information (todo, grocery list, etc.) and sync with a
smartphone?  If you can't sync with a smartphone, how do you manage the
grocery list?

   Is it a good calendar?  Can you easily collaborate with colleagues who use
Google Calendar?

   Is it a good email reader?  Does it work with gmail?

   Is Emacs adapting well to the changing computing landscape?

   Thank you for your attention.

Well, I would say that emacs is bad at everything, BUT a single thing:

       it is good at being modified.

IMHO it's time to create an Emacs-Foundation, which might collect and
distribute funds in order to make
Emacs competitive in several areas.

[ ... ]