Re: What are Emacs best uses?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: What are Emacs best uses?
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 18:58:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday, 19 August 2013 22:35:13 UTC+8, Luca Ferrari  wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Sebastien Vauban wrote:
>
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>
> >       ;; use proxy
> >       (setq url-proxy-services
> >             `(("http"     . ,(getenv "http_proxy"))
> >               ("ftp"      . ,(getenv "http_proxy"))
> >               ("no_proxy" . "^.*example.com")))
> >               ;; disable proxy for some hosts
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> Despite two extra parens in the end, no, it does not help. I tried to
> update the package list but got "Failed to download 'gnu' archive". I
> then tried to get an URL with w3 but I got "http/80 Name or service
> unknown".

Emacs expects just hostname and port in `url-proxy-services'. Generally the
http_proxy environment variable will be prefixed with "http://";, as that is
what some other programs expect.

Either change the above to explicitly use your proxy server details

    (setq url-proxy-services
          (("http" . "proxy-host:port")
;; etc...
          ))

or if you really want to use the environment variables, add some code to strip
off the leading "http://"; and any trailing "/".