Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?

From: Carson Chittom
Subject: Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 08:04:54 -0500

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thursday, October 10, 2013 9:57:48 AM UTC+5:30, Teemu Likonen wrote:

>> That's hard to measure. One way for estimating popularity is Debian's
>> automatic popularity contest.
>>
>> http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=emacsen-common%2Cvim-common&show_vote=on&want_legend=on&from_date=&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1
>
> Thanks for that picture.
> It confirms my personal hunchy feel that 20 years ago emacs-vi were
> kind of neck to neck; whereas today emacs is increasingly in the
> category: "Whazzat??" for young programmers.

It's been a while (several years) since I've used Debian, but as I
recall, the vim-common package is installed by default; whereas you have
to explicitly install Emacs.  I'm not saying your "hunchy feel" is wrong
(I have no idea about that), just that you can't get to your conclusion
from the graph alone.